Monday, November 5, 2007

Quotable Quote: What Do You Think?

While doing some research the other night, I came across a list of quotes. Some long, some short. Some inspiring, and some confusing. However, there was one that stood out to me more than any other. A nice, simple, but oh so deep quote:

"You can't do anything about the length of your life, but you can do something about its width and depth."

At first, this looks like your average, everyday, inspirational quote. But in reality, it's so much more than that. What exactly is the width and depth of our life? What can we do to make our lives wider, deeper? I'll give you all may take on this quote, but then, I definitely want to see what all of you have to say.

I believe that the depth and width of our lives can only be found in what we do at this very moment. Who cares about the legacy we leave behind? Who cares what people think about us when we're gone? Why not do the things that make you happy at this very moment and just take a chance with life? History is soon forgotten but what you do today can make or break your day.

I strongly believe that we should all do things that make us smile, that make us truly enjoy everyday that we get to live. It's not about how many friends you make, or how many books you've read. It's about being your own friend and writing your own book. If you can't make yourself happy, then what makes you think that someone else can?


As people, I believe that many times we leave a lot of things unsaid. While we do this, we say a lot of things that are useless. If you have something to say, say it. Quit being fearful of what others think. Just say it.

As I was sitting in class today listening to my literature professor ramble, something that he said finally caught my ear. He said: "Is it possible to die before reaching the end of your life?" Now, before you answer that question, sit back and think about it for a second.

Many people die before reaching the end of their lives. Many dreams and goals that they wanted to reach are left unaccomplished. I for one don't want to live an unfinished life, and I definitely don't want to die with nothing but dreams and aspirations in my mind.

Do you really want to end your life without saying the things that need to be said? I believe that we can only add to the width and depth of our life when we truly learn how to make ourselves happy and say what we need to say.

Besides giving me your view on this quote, I would love it if each of you, in your comments, told me the one thing that would bring a smile to your face right now. After you've written it, I want you to go out and do it. Do that thing that will make you happy, because you never know if tomorrow will bring another opportunity for you to smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Just Lovely.

Anonymous said...

I just got a shot full of endorphins while reading your post!...
Um, what would make me happy right now? Having a simple conversation with my Mom. Although I can't actually do that right now, it was nice to imagine a conversation with her.
:)

Anonymous said...

Now that is the best blog ever written!! People go through life taking it for granted. We do need to stop and think about what are we doing with our lives? Are we happy with just breathing, or are we happy that we have the ability to breathe? Live your life to the fullest and deepest. Eat that fatty cheeseburger that you so much desire every once in a while, drink a bunch of long islands during a fun night out with loving people, no matter how much the hangover hurts the next morning. I promise you that night, you will remember it forever! Loosen up and you will brighten everyone's life a little bit more!

Anonymous said...

I'm back again..its a two-fer. I think Inesita tried to steal your blog there! Eat that fatty cheeseburger. Vamos hacer un 'brindis' with the Long Islands!!!